What kind of material? What style? How high? Fence can be confusing! Here are some helpful tips and information, to make the whole process a little simpler.
Q. How do I choose the best fence material?
A. First, choose a material that compliments the location – especially considering the building on the property. If you’re thinking about aluminum, vinyl, or wire fence, be sure to ask for a copy of the manufacturer’s warranty. If you’re considering wood, ask about the grading and general life expectancy. Always take grade into consideration, when comparing prices!
Q. Should posts be concreted?
A. All vinyl and aluminum fence posts should be concreted. Wood panel fences, such as stockade or picket fences, should be concreted. Gate posts on any sort of fence should be concreted, to ensure the gate continues to operate smoothly. Rail or wire fences do not typically need concrete; these posts can be either set in drilled holes and backfilled, or driven.
Q. How should I maintain my fence?
A. Vinyl and aluminum fence are basically maintenance free – another great reason to use these materials! Dirt and dust should was off easily with soap and water. Wood fences can be stained, painted, or left uncoated for a natural faded gray color. We recommend a solid stain color rather than paint, so the wood can breathe. NEVER paint a Western Red Cedar fence – only stain is acceptable for this type of wood.
Q. What happens after I sign the contract?
A. Usually, the job will be scheduled 4-8 weeks from the time we receive the signed contract with deposit, depending on our backlog and your schedule. If you have deadlines, please let us know – we will take your deadline into consideration, and let you know if we can meet it. The morning we start the job, we usually request that someone be available to walk around the job site with the crew leader. We understand that you likely will not be present on-site always, so we like to make sure we have a contact number before you leave. Once the job is completed, we’ll conduct a walk-around with you, to ensure your satisfaction with the new fence. The invoice will then be mailed out.
Q. Do you offer any discounts?
A. Occasionally, we will offer winter discounts. These are subject to availability and are based on the size of the job.
- If we are concreting your posts, there will be excess dirt that will need removed. We will gladly pile it for your future use, or we can use it to fill ditches, potholes, or low spots. If necessary, we can remove it for a fee – we’ll need to make arrangements beforehand!
- If the fence is to be installed in a soft, swampy area, wintertime installation would be preferred; frozen ground is much easier to work with.
- Always make sure your gates will be wide enough for lawn mowers, delivery trucks, etc.
- If you are in a residential neighborhood and your neighbors order a fence at the same time as you, you’ll probably save some money. We can work much more efficiently, and can deliver materials in one trip.
- Think about any underground pipes, wires, or sewers that might conflict with the fence line. Call ahead of time, so we can be prepared!
AK Fencing was founded by Amos Stoltzfus with a goal of providing fencing service and installation that exceeds the expectations of our customers. The employees of AK Fencing have over 25 years of experience in all types of fencing installation.
AK Fencing will perform all work in a professional manner with craftsmen that are skilled in their trade. AK Fencing will guarantee all workmanship and materials for a period of 4 (four) years from the final date of installation. If any portion of our installation fails during this time period, AK Fencing will repair or replace the defective materials at no charge to our customer.
* This guarantee does not cover: normal wear and tear, intentional damage, damaged caused by external sources or materials or workmanship provided by others. This guarantee does not replace any manufacturer guarantees or warranties that may be in effect on certain specific products.